Follow us and how to donate

Sunday 13 May 2012

Just back from a break in sunny Scotland, and very nice it was too. Managed 153 miles of cycling but not a great deal was climbing. To make up for it I was riding the mountain bike (nice and heavy) along with panniers which included a double barrelled foot pump, just for the extra weight! Note below are from some of the days out.

4th May
A bit of cycling in sunny Scotland! After what seems like several weeks of rain going up to what turns out to be a sunny and warm Oban is a real treat. I’ve brought the mountain bike along so I’ve had a few miles trundling along but today (day three) has given me some good training. A simple 20 mile circuit from our camp site going up the A828 (but finding Sustrans route 78 along the way) and turning right onto the B845 to Bonawe saw some nice climbing up and over a mountain pass.
The first section was undulating and steep, the gradient ever changing for a couple of miles. The climb was through forest so I had the pleasure of hearing streams rushing down the hill and the wind blowing through the tree tops.  Sounds idyllic and it was. Strange then that I should meet Mr Grumpy walking down the road with his staff and clearly focused on his intention not to acknowledge my presence let alone return my cheerful (if breathless) greeting.
About to descend to Loch Etive
The first part of the climb was standing on the pedals steep. The only respite came as I stopped to let a truck pass on the single track road. Strange that even though the road is just one car wide there is a constant flow of 8 wheeled monsters running backwards and forwards to the local quarry. After a couple of miles I thought that I was probably at the top but it turned out to be short descent before a long steady rise up a steeply sided valley for another mile or so. From there it was a tremendous and twisty 40 mph descent towards Loch Etive and the turning back to North Connell.
A good ride and a good workout. Riding single track roads is great especially where there is so little traffic.
Doing the ride the other way around could be equally fun and challenging. The climb up from Inveresragan (the 40 mph descent) looks a cracking climb.
6th May

Mountain bike waiting for the off in Oban

NCN78 is a stunner! It looks as though it is very recently constructed but like all NCN routes in Scotland it is brilliant. Having cycle track wider than a single track road is a real luxury and today I’ve clocked just over 40 miles following the above from North Ledaig to Port Appin and doing the loop around Loch  Crerran. A fair bit of the NCN route is old railway line so has very gentle gradients but interspersed between all this is the odd bit that links the old track together and that has a few steady climbs. Following the NCN route is probably slower than going along the road but it is far more pleasant. In places the road is running below the level of the cycle track which gives for wide panoramas showing the scenery at its best.  Added to that I took the long way around to Port Appin and this had a few short climbs too.
The scenery around Loch Crerran was stunning. I saw two cars during the whole 6 mile loop. Talk about peaceful. The loch occupies a steeply sided valley and has few houses. One newly constructed house was down by the waterside. It had been constructed over three storeys; the top storey being fully glass with roof overhanging to such an extent that rain on the windows would never obscure the view. Further along I noticed some steps down to the loch side. They seemed out of place as I rode towards them but curiosity aroused, I stopped. This must have been the most photogenic point of the whole loop and the peace was palpable. A good spot to park up with the camper van.
Bike & Bridge over Loch Etive
Again everyone I met on the road was friendly and cheerful. Every other cyclist shared some form of greeting from simple wave to a cheery "Morning". I've realised that the Yorkshire greeting of "'Ow Do?" just doesn't work up here! Drivers too were considerate giving a wave either as I pulled over to let them pass or vice versa. Only once did I meet a motorist who was intent on exerting his superior rights when I had to pull off the road between passing places, but even then I got a wave of thanks. I reckon I didn’t look miffed enough to show my displeasure!
The worst bit of the trip was that I forgot to take any money so could not visit the very nice looking cake stop by the ferry at Port Appin. Worse still was walking down the jetty wondering why my shorts were getting lower. I forgot to take my belt too! Luckily I found piece of discarded blue twine that was pressed into service. Waste not want not!
11th May
Finished off the holiday with a 25 mile run to Oban. I have managed to cycle 153 miles over the holiday. Not a great deal of climbing but all on the heavy mountain bike and all carrying two panniers with dead weight on board.
Every little helps!!

No comments:

Post a Comment