Follow us and how to donate

Sunday 3 June 2012

More busy days, more preparation

The Crypt Camino Challenge team went out on Friday for a short spin to Knaresborough. Again a rapid change in the weather saw us all wrapped up and wet weather gear. Cold, wet and 1st June too. It wasn't just for the ride as we are all trying to decide what we need to take so it was sharing views on these matters that was important. We are all really focused on travelling as light as possible but aware also that we need to be prepared for all eventualities from sleeping out to getting lost.

We also looked at various maps and we seem to have made some progress on the return journey to Bayonne in that we think we can get to Hendaye on the Spanish side of the border and we could then possible cycle up the coast. It's all coming together - we hope!

I also had a ride over to York on Saturday, so again I've done 90+ miles in two days. The weather forecast is poor over the next  few days and Saturday being dry if a bit chilly I thought I had better have a ride out. Without any clear idea of where I was going I set off towards York using a route that I haven't ridden for a good few years. This basically follows the north side of the A64 to York, going through Wetherby, Tockwith and then all the small villages before returning on the south side of the A64 from Acaster Malbis through Bolton Percy to Tadcaster. The best bit was the Red Arrows fly past in formation as I was approaching Bolton Percy. I still haven't worked out how they knew where I was. The best thing about the ride was just setting off rather late knowing that knocking out 50 miles just wasn't a problem. That feels good.

I had a humbling experience talking to another cyclist in Acaster Malbis where I had stopped for lunch. This chap was 50 miles into an 80 mile circuit riding a rather nice looking single speed. He was 78 years old. I just hope I can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment